For more than a decade, DOSA has been a staple in the Bay Area’s South Indian food scene. Serving everything from lentil fritters with organic yogurt (from Bay Area local Straus, no less) to their namesake dosa, DOSA brings a taste of Southwest India to the Bay Area. The restaurant’s countless awards, packed tables, and glowing reviews on Yelp, TripAdvisor, and more are proof that DOSA has really made its mark on Bay Area diners.
That’s why we were so excited to announce our new restaurant partnership with DOSA in January. Since that announcement, we’ve delivered thousands of DOSA’s award-winning dishes to people at work, from San Jose to San Francisco to Oakland. And from the looks of it, we’re just getting started.
From Mumbai to the Bay: The Story of DOSA
More than a decade ago, while eating dosas and sipping chai in India, DOSA co-founders and long-time San Francisco residents Emily and Anjan Mitra saw an opportunity to bring South Indian cuisine to the Bay Area. They built their first restaurant on Valencia in the Mission, and in the eleven years since have opened up a second restaurant on Fillmore, won numerous awards, and delighted San Franciscans and tourists alike. Just look at the recognition they’ve garnered:
- 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2009, 2008 & 2007 Best Indian, The Eat + Drink Awards – 7×7 Magazine
- 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 & 2007 Michelin Guide Bib Gourmand & Recommended
- 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 Best Indian, Bay Readers Poll – SF Bay Guardian
- 2012, 2011, 2010, ’09, ’08, ’07 & ’06 Top 100 Bay Area Restaurants – SF Chronicle
- 2012 Top 100 Bay Area Bars – SF Chronicle
- 2012 The 38 Essential San Francisco Restaurants – Eater SF
- 2011, 2009 Best Indian Readers Poll Winner – SF Weekly
- 2010, 2008 Best Eats in San Francisco – SF Examiner
- 2009, 2007 Best Indian & Worth the Wait, Reader’s Poll Winners – SF Mag
- The Top 10 (New) Restaurants of 2006 -Michael Bauer – SF Chronicle
Good In More Ways Than One: A Sustainable Approach
It’s not just the taste of the food that keeps people coming back. DOSA’s use of local, sustainable ingredients lends a sense of responsibility to its food. Emily’s background in the health food industry contributed to this decision, and it’s clear that the co-founders’ choice to be global while thinking local was a good one, indeed. Organic, bio-dynamic, natural, and free-range are just a few of the words used to describe their ingredients. DOSA’s commitment to being eco-friendly even extends to their restaurants, which are highly energy-efficient.
The Reviews Are In: What Members Think of DOSA
The reviews from our members are no different than what the restaurant’s awards might suggest: people love DOSA’s food. Click on the images below to see what people from around the Bay Area are saying about DOSA.